How much do you know about Iced Tea? June is National Iced Tea Month so we’re celebrating with specials on a variety of iced tea blends throughout the month. Test your iced tea knowledge below!
1) Iced tea became popular in: 1904, 1875, 1776, 1935
1904 at the Louisiana Exposition (St. Louis Fair) click here to read our blog on the origins of Iced Tea.
2) Iced tea was introduced to the masses by: Sir Thomas Lipton, Martha Washington, Richard Blechynden, Betsy Ross
Richard Blechynden – click here to read our blog about Iced Teas
3) Of the tea drunk in the US, iced tea accounts for: 25%, 50%, 73%, 85%
Currently 85% of all tea consumed in the US is Iced Tea according to the Tea Association of the U.S.A.
4) The Long Island Iced Tea cocktail contains: Assam black tea, Gunpowder Green Tea, Ceylon Black Tea, all of the above, none of the above
None of the above. The cocktail Long Island Iced Tea contains no real tea. It is a blend of different alcohols made to resemble the taste of iced tea.
5) Iced tea is so popular that it has created specialized cutlery. True or False?
True. The Iced tea spoon is a longer handled version of the teaspoon. It was created to stir sugar or sweeteners in tall glasses of iced tea.
6) The oldest Iced tea recipe can be found in a cookbook from 1879. Did this recipe use as its base: Black tea, Oolong Tea, Green Tea, Herbal Tea
Green Tea. Green tea was primarily used for this recipe until WWII, when supplies of green tea were cut off from the US.
7) Which State introduced legislation (on April 1, 2003) to make it mandatory that all restaurants serve sweetened tea? Washington, California, Pennsylvania, Georgia
Georgia. Thought to be an April Fool’s joke, this legislation never was voted on.
8) Iced tea blends are blends of teas formulated for: strength, non-cloudiness, flavor, all of the above
All of the above. Iced tea blends generally use a blend of teas that tend to be less cloudy when brewed for cold consumption. Strength and flavor are always a factor in any blend of teas.
9) If Iced teas get cloudy you can dispel the cloudiness by: stirring briskly, adding a little boiling water, adding cold water, adding lemon
Adding a little boiling water helps to dispel the cloudiness that is caused by the tannins in the tea.
10) The best glass of iced tea is made: with sugar, without sugar, with fruit juices added, with lemon, any way you like it
Life is too short – make your iced tea any way that makes you happy!
We hope you have a wonderful Iced Tea month. Happy sipping!